The Crown (Wilmette, Illinois)
Oreo truffles are a great snack that will be sure to please anyone that tries them. They are very easy to make, so they are perfect for a party or just to bring to your lunch table for a fun treat.
Approximate time needed:
- 15 minutes for assembly
- 1 hour for cooling
What you will need:
- 1 package of Oreo cookies (14 ounces)
- 1 brick of cream cheese (8 ounces)
- 1 bag of chocolate chips, the type of chocolate is up to you (12 ounces)
- Sprinkles or more melted chocolate for decorating
- Pulse the Oreo cookies in a food processor for 45 seconds-one minute, or until the cookies are crumbly and have the consistency of wet sand
- Put the cookie crumbles into a large bowl for mixing
- Add the brick of cream cheese to the Oreos and mix it together until the mixture is fully combined. The best way to do this is with your clean hands but you can use a spoon if you want
- The mixture should look grey with a few small chunks of Oreo cookies mixed in, but no chunks of white cream cheese should be visible
- Using a tablespoon (or however big or small you want) scoop up the mixture and roll it between your palms to form a round ball
- Place the truffles on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet and place them in the fridge for at least thirty minutes, or until hardened
- After thirty minutes, begin to melt the chocolate chips in the microwave, stopping every thirty seconds to stir the chocolate around. This keeps the chocolate melting evenly
- Dip each truffle in the chocolate and make sure they are completely covered
- Before the chocolate hardens, decorate the truffles with whatever you want, they look great with some rainbow nonpareil sprinkles or other colorful candies
- Place truffles back into the fridge to harden completely. Enjoy!
These truffles seem hard to make, but your guests will never know how easy they really are! Have a sweet holiday season with these Oreo truffles.
Photo Credit: Deanna Stone