By Bella D’Agostino
The Crown (Willamette, Illinois)
Cinnamon Toast Crunch is one of the most popular cereals, but the calories aren’t good. If you want a healthier option, then you can make this Do It Yourself: Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Not only is it healthier,but also delicious.
- 1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 table spoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Add the whole wheat flour, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon into a bowl and combine.
- Add in the coconut oil, brown sugar, sugar, vanilla, and honey and mix.
- Add in the buttermilk and form the dough into balls.
- Put the dough on a lightly floured counter and divide the dough into four flat sheets.
- Put wax paper over the disks of dough and thin it out.
- Slice the dough not 1/2 inch squares and pierce dots into the squares with a fork.
- Combine the 2 tablespoons of sugar and 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon in one bowl and in another melt the remaining coconut oil in a microwave for a minute.
- Brush the whole sheet of dough with the melted coconut oil and then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.
- Place the squares onto baking sheets and bake for 9-13 minutes.
- Allow some time to cool completely then enjoy!
Photo Credit: Mike Mozart