Nine books to read before they become movies in 2018

By Ally MacLeod

The Tower Pulse (Grosse Point, Michigan)

  1. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle

This book was first published in 1960 and is being released as a movie on March 9, 2018. The story follows Meg Murry and her little brother, Charles Wallace. Their father left them five years prior when he discovered a new planet. Meg insists on finding this planet herself with help from three space travelers named Mrs. Whatsit, Mrs. Who, and Mrs. Which. Meg also receives help from her classmate and friend, Calvin.

  1. The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells

The novel was originally published in 1897 and it is about a doctor named Jack Griffin who discovers a potion that can make him invisible. His colleagues start to notice him going insane as a side effect of his power to be invisible. The movie will be released on April 13, 2018.

  1. Maze Runner: The Death Cure by James Dashner

This is the last book in the Maze Runner trilogy. In this story, some of the escaped Gladers have to break into the last city and defeat the deadliest labyrinth they have ever faced, in order to save their friends. The release date is January 26, 2018.

  1. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Ready Player One is set in the year 2045. The Earth is on the edge of survival and the only thing the human race has going for them is a virtual reality universe called OASIS. James Halliday created OASIS and promises to give his fortune away when he dies to the person who reveals a digital Easter egg he has hidden. The movie comes out in theatres on March 30, 2018.

  1. The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken

Bracken tells the fictional story about a 16 year old girl who is part of the 2% of America’s children that are alive. The remaining 2% of children all develop superpowers after a disease killed the other 98%. This movie will be released on September 14, 2018.

  1. Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

This story is told by Bernadette’s daughter, Bee Fox, as she tries to uncover what happened to her mother and her disappearance. “A heart-warming. Life-affirming novel of the year,” said The Times. Where’d You Go, Bernadette will be in theatres on May 11, 2018.

  1. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Albertalli tells the fictional story of a 16 year old named Simon who has yet to tell his friends and family that he is gay. Simon tells his secret to someone he mistakenly trusted and is then forced to reveal his secret before it comes out on its own. Simon has to figure out how to come out without eliminating himself from a potential love-interest. The movie will be called “Love, Simon” and will be released on March 16, 2018

  1. Ophelia by Lisa Klein

Ophelia retells the tale of Hamlet, the only difference is that it is told from Ophelia’s perspective. The movie will star Tom Felton and Naomi Watts. The movie will be released on January 22, 2018.

  1. Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

This novel is about a fictional opera singer named Roxanne Cross. Cross gets stuck in a hostage situation for months and experiences things she had never dreamed of. The release date of Bel Canto is to be determined.

Photo Credit: Ally MacLeod

Leave a Reply